If you are (or your sister-in-law is) a sales rep for any of the well known essential oils companies (Young Living, doTerra, Be Young), then you are well versed on the benefits of essential oils you are also familiar with how they can provide a variety of therapeutic and wellness benefits. If you are new to oils, or are looking for a natural, soothing solution to your bunion pain, we hope to help guide you in the right direction. Below is a this quick post summarizing the information we have gathered on essential oils and how they can help bunions. We welcome any corrections or comments but no sales pitches please.
Common Essential Oils Used on Bunions
There are several essential oils who’s properties could bring relief to inflamed, painful bunions. They can be used alone or in conjunction with other oils that catch your fancy. Here are a just a few, with the most commonly used (and believed to be the most effective) at the top of the list;
- Lavender Essential Oil – pain relief, anti-inflammatory & analgesic properties
- Peppermint Essential Oil – may help relieve inflammation and bunion pain
- Rosemary Essential Oil – analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties (approved by German government for pain relief)
- Eucalyptus Essential Oil – pain relief of nerve, muscle, & joint pain
- Chamomile Essential Oil – inflammation and pain
- Sweet Majorum Essential Oil – anti-inflammatory
- Lemon Essential Oil – added bonus for the feet – anti-bacterial and anti-fungal…smells great too 😉
Many essential oil professionals recommend what is called a “carrier oil” to dilute the essential oils when applying directly to the skin. Carrier oils can make mixing 2 oils easier when blending them together to enhance their wellness benefits. Common carrier oils that specifically help with inflammation include;
- Coconut oil – anti-inflammatory & analgesic properties and may help reduce pain and skin inflammation bunion sufferers might experience.
- Jojoba oil – helps the skin absorb topical drugs
- Castor oil – had properties similar to capsaicin, a natural pain reliever
Drop 4 drops of each of your favorite oils listed above in about 1 tablespoon of carrier oil and massage away your bunion pain!
Bunion Bootie does not endorse or suggest any treatment or use of essential oils or topicals without first reviewing your options with your doctor.